Viewing videos’ is becoming more and more popular online. Learning how to promote your website on YouTube or through another streaming medium such as Slidely Promo or Wave.video is something online marketers need to consider.
In addition, although we can still describe the internet as being in its childhood years, for affiliate marketers it is increasingly competitive and YouTube marketing could be the push your business needs.
The information in this post is mainly about how to rank YouTube videos’ embedded on your site. However, many of the points discuss also relate to ranking directly on YouTube as well as other search engines. So, let’s look at some statistics on why we should use promotional videos’ on our websites.
Why Use Youtube.com to Promote Your Website?
In order to understand why we should use YouTube for our marketing, it would help to look at some of the trends in the industry. The following facts were initially compiled on word stream in a blog post by Mary Lister. The full article can be found at 37 Staggering Video Marketing Statistics for 2018.
- 48% of marketers plan to add YouTube to their content strategy in the next year.
- YouTube has over 1 billion users almost one-third of all people on the Internet.
- 45% of people watch more than an hour of Facebook or YouTube videos’ a week.
- Among millennial’s, YouTube accounts for two-thirds of the premium online video watched.
- Views on branded video content have increased 99% on YouTube since June 2017.
- Including video on the landing page can increase conversion by 80%.
- Online shoppers who view demo videos’ are 1.81 times more likely to purchase than non-viewers.
- 52% of marketing professionals worldwide name video as the type of content with the best ROI.
- Marketers who use video grow revenue 49% faster than non-video users.
- Average CVR for websites using video is 4.8% compared to 2.9% for those that don’t use video.
- Having a video on the landing page makes it 53% more likely to show up on page 1 of the SERP.
- Video attracts 2 to 3 times as many monthly visitors.
- Blog post incorporating video attracted three times as many inbound links as blog posts without video.
YouTube Dominance – Only a Few Steps Away …
First, what are the core metrics which affect how high you will rank? It is essential to think of each YouTube video as being a unique page or post. Correct SEO optimization of each individual video is compulsory just as with one of your ordinary blog posts.
These are the core ranking metrics which are influencing how well your videos’ and posts will rank in 2018. There are six main factors to consider.
- Keyword placement in Youtube video title.
- Positioning the keyword in Youtube video description.
- Using the keyword in Youtube video tags.
- Audience retention.
- Audience engagement.
The first point is self-explanatory. The search engines need some way of identifying what the YouTube video is about. So placing the keyword in the video title does just that. It also provides relevance for the person doing the search.
Having the keyword phrase within the video description is also significant. This is often overlooked by people creating meta-descriptions for their websites. It simply reinforces what your video contains and it seems to be more important for the YouTube description than the meta-description of a website.
My opinion is that any advantage we have over our competitors, is a good advantage, and why not do it? As long as you are not keyword stuffing there is no harm and there is every reason to believe that it will help you at least a little, if not with the search engines, definitely with searchers looking for relevance.
I don’t use tags on my website at present. I have no real use for them as I am using categories and sub-categories. However, one of my silent mentors from wealthy affiliate magistudios recommends using them. Tags are used to make finding a video easier for YouTube users.
The video’s ability to retain the audience helps your overall position in the SERPS because Google’s algorithm Includes the amount of time a visitor spends on your website. It’s a well-known fact that web pages with videos’ have a longer retention rate than those without.
Audience engagement on normal websites and social sites such as YouTube have been a part of the Google algorithm for some time now. In the case of Youtube, comments, sharing and embedding increase rankability. Embedding means taking a video from Youtube and placing it on your website so people can view it from there.
Lastly, think of subscribers on YouTube as being similar to followers on Google+, Twitter or FaceBook. Youtube has channels and if a viewer subscribes to your channel than you have a follower or subscriber. This metric also informs viewers and Google of the videos’ popularity.
How to Promote Your Website Using YouTube
Make a video, upload it to YouTube.com
Optimize the title, description, and tags.
Ensure you have an awesome thumbnail.
Embed the YouTube video on your website or blog.
Within your site content ask the readers to watch the video.
The combination of video length, audience retention, and topic relevance are significant. The longer the visitor stays on your web page the better for your ranking. Although research says people prefer videos’ less than two minutes, I think it depends on the niche.
Some longer videos’ teaching skills or techniques rank well on Youtube. They must be interesting and provide value to the customer. I think product demos or sales videos’ need to be kept very short 1 to 2 minutes long.
A thumbnail image is a still photo showing on the screen when your video is not playing. We use this to attract viewers (especially on YouTube) because we are usually competing with other videos’ with the same keywords. This provides a way to stand out from the crowd. A few things to be aware of:
- Use giant letters in your thumbnail.
- Be consistent with the layouts of your thumbnails – aesthetic value.
- Thumbnail can be created on YouTube or you can upload one.
- When uploading the resolution should be 1280 X 720.
- Formatted images should be JPG for people etc. and PNG for graphics.
- The total size of the image should be under 2 MB.
- Keep it simple. For example, a black background with white writing works well.
Canva is a graphic design tool website. I sometimes use it to create my own images and graphics. It provides access to thousands of photos, fonts, and graphics. It has free registration which is sufficient to create thumbnails if you wish. The website is as follows: Using Thumbnails to Promote Your Website on Youtube.
So there you have it. By uploading a video to Youtube on a topic related to a post on your blog or website and than embedding it into that post per se, you are promoting your website. It increases visitors to your site. They will stay longer and more of them will make a purchase.
Please look out for future posts on how to promote your website on Youtube because I plan to do a few more articles in this series and possibly a video or two.